Last Updated: 02/28/2020
2. Data We Collect
When you create, update, and/or an account for the Services with us, you provide us with data, including Personal Information, about yourself, which may include, without limitation:
- your name
- your date of birth
- your email address(es)
- your physical address
- your device’s unique identifier
- your user name
- your password or other log-in credentials
- any other information that you elect to share or provide us access to, including Personal Information that may identify you individually
We also receive information, including Personal Information, from third parties to whom such information was provided. Our third-party sources of such information include the following:
- Background Information. We may receive information about you, such as demographic data and criminal and credit history, from our trusted background screening and fraud prevention partners. For example, if you complete a lease application in connection with an apartment available through RentSFNow, you may provide information to a screening vendor in connection with the application process, and we may receive this information and additional information pertaining to you from the applicable vendor. We collect this information only in accordance with applicable law and, when required, with your consent. Although we reserve the right to change the vendors we use for these services at our discretion and without further notice, we currently contract with vendors including TransUnion LLC with respect to screening services as described in this paragraph.
- Public Information. We may collect information about you from publicly accessible sources, such as information posted about you on the internet, news stories, and information available from governmental entities.
- Marketing Information. We may collect information about you from our trusted marketing partners who provide us with information about potential customers and partners. For example, we work with various third parties (our “ILS Vendors”) who provide marketing and related services with respect to apartments offered on RentSFNow and, as part of those relationships, we receive information, including Personal Information, that these ILS vendors receive relating to potential customers. Although we reserve the right to change the ILS Vendors we use at our discretion and without further notice, we currently contract with, the vendors we contract with in connection with these services currently include the following: apartments.com, apartmentlist.com, Zillow, Zumper.
Veritas may also collect other information from you related to your use of the Services and your interactions with our Services (while this information may not typically contain Personal Information, we are not responsible for the content of such information). This information includes any such information that you affirmatively provide to Veritas, and may include the following:
- Location Information. Certain of our Third-Party Providers may request permission to and track location-based information from your mobile device, either continuously or while you are using the Services, to provide location-based services, and we may receive this information from our Third-Party Providers. If you wish to change our access or permissions, you may do so in your device’s settings.
- Log Data. Like most websites, our servers may automatically collect data when you access or use the Services and record it in log files. Such may include your Internet Protocol (IP) address, Internet service provider (ISP), geographic location, browser type and settings, information about browser plugins, language preference, default email application, referring/exit websites, operating system, date and time stamp, cookie data, and certain user activities.
- Technical Data. Veritas may collect technical data, such as information about devices accessing the Services, including the type of device, device settings, operating system, application software, peripherals, and unique device identifiers, phone number, country, location, and any other data you choose to provide. We do not intentionally relate this to any individual user of the Services.
- Information Provided to Third-Party Services. You may elect to use certain Third-Party Services that we make available in connection with your use of the Services. As noted above, information you provide to such Third-Party Services is subject to the privacy policies and practices of the provider of the applicable Third-Party Service. Additionally, once enabled, it is possible that the Third-Party Services may share certain data with Veritas to effectuate integration between our Services and theirs. You should check the privacy settings and notices of any Third-Party Services you elect to use in connection with the Services to understand what data may be disclosed to Veritas. We may receive data regarding your credentials for and use of the applicable Third-Party Services, such as your user name, your unique identifier, and your information transmitted from or made available with permissions by such Third-Party Services (e.g., account profile, gender, age range, language, geographic region, etc.).
- Any Additional Information Provided to Us. Veritas receives data when submitted to or through our Services, or if you contact us (whether by email, telephone, written correspondence, web-based forms, or otherwise), request support, interact with our social media accounts, or otherwise communicate with Veritas.
3.3. No Children’s Data
Our Services are not directed to or intended for children, and Veritas does not intentionally collect, process, or store through the Services any Personal Information from any person under 13 years of age without parental/guardian consent. In the event we discover we have inadvertently collected, processed, or stored any Personal Information from a person under 13 years of age without verifiable parental consent, we will promptly take the appropriate steps to delete such data or seek the necessary verifiable parental consent for that collection in compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”).
4. How and Why We Use Data
We use the information collected from you, including Personal Information, to administer the Services and to communicate with you about the Services. Veritas’s use of information from you may include the following:
- Providing the Services. To make the Services available, to manage user requests and interactions with the Services (e.g., login and authentication, modifying settings, etc.) including by our Third-Party Providers, to facilitate hosting and back-end infrastructure, to analyze and monitor usage, and to monitor and address service performance, security, and technical issues.
- Improving and Developing New Services. To test features, manage landing pages, heat mapping, traffic optimization, data analysis and research, including profiling and the use of machine learning and other techniques over your data and in some cases using Third-Party Providers to do this.
- Support Services. To respond to support requests and otherwise provide support for and resolve problems with the Services.
- Communications. To send service, technical, and administrative emails, messages, and other communications. Service-related communications about changes to the Services and important Services-related notices, such as maintenance and security announcements, are essential to delivery of the Services and you cannot opt-out of these communications. Marketing communications, if any, about new product features, offerings, and other news about Veritas are optional; you have the choice whether or not to receive them and you may opt out by using the unsubscribe mechanism in such communications, or by changing the email preferences in your account.
- Marketing Our Services. We may also use your information, including Personal Information, inform you (and if applicable, your users and your clients) of available services we offer, to send you marketing, advertising and other information that we think may be of interest to you.
- Account Management. To contact you in connection with account management, feedback, and other administrative matters.
- Security Purposes. To help prevent and investigate security issues and abuse.
- Legal Obligations. To comply with legal obligations as required by applicable law, legal process, or regulations as described above.
We cooperate with inquiries by law enforcement, as well as other third parties, to enforce laws such as those regarding intellectual property rights, fraud and other personal rights. WE CAN (AND YOU AUTHORIZE US TO) DISCLOSE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT YOU TO LAW ENFORCEMENT, OTHER GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS OR ANY OTHER THIRD PARTY THAT WE, AT OUR SOLE DISCRETION, BELIEVE NECESSARY OR APPROPRIATE IN CONNECTION WITH AN INVESTIGATION OF FRAUD, INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY INFRINGEMENT OR OTHER ACTIVITY THAT IS ILLEGAL OR MAY EXPOSE US, OR YOU, TO LIABILITY.
Subject to the above paragraphs, we may share or disclose information about you as follows:
- With Your Consent. Veritas may disclose your data, including Personal Information, to third parties when we have your express consent to do so.
- By Law or to Protect Rights. If we believe the release of information about you is necessary to respond to legal process, to investigate or remedy potential violations of our policies, or to protect the rights, property, and safety of others, we may share your information as permitted or required by applicable law, rule, or regulation. This includes exchanging information with other entities for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- Interactions with Other Users; Postings. If you interact with other users of the Services, those users may see identifying information and descriptions of your activity, including, if the applicable functionality is made available, sending invitations to other users, chatting with other users, liking posts, following blogs. If you post comments, contributions or other content in any way connected to the Services, such content may be viewed by other users and may be publicly distributed outside the Services.
- Third-Party Services. You may enable or permit integrations with or use of Third-Party Services in connection with the Services. When you have enabled such integrations, we may share certain data with the relevant Third-Party Services as requested to effectuate the integration, including data regarding your credentials related to the Services. As mentioned above, Third-Party Services are not owned or controlled by Veritas and third parties that have been granted access to your data may have their own policies and practices for its collection and use; you should check the privacy settings and notices of these Third-Party Services to understand their privacy practices.
- Changes to Our Business. If a Veritas entity engages in a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, reorganization, sale of some or all of its assets or stock, financing, public offering of securities, acquisition of all or a portion of our business, a similar transaction or proceeding, or steps in contemplation of such activities (e.g. due diligence), Veritas may share or disclose data in connection therewith, subject to standard confidentiality obligations.
- Aggregated or De-Identified Data. If any data is aggregated or de-identified so it is no longer reasonably associated with an identified or identifiable natural person, we may use or disclose such aggregated or de-identified data for any purpose. For example, we may share aggregated or de-identified data with prospects or partners for business or research purposes, such as statistical analysis, to research trends and predictive analysis, or to develop or improve the Services.
- Enforcement of Agreements. Veritas may disclose data to ensure compliance with and to enforce contractual or legal obligations with respect to the Services and our business, including any applicable lease agreements.
- Protection of Rights. Veritas may disclose data to protect and defend our rights and property, including intellectual property rights, and to ensure compliance with applicable laws and enforce third-party rights, including intellectual property and privacy rights.
- Safety and Security. Veritas may disclose data to protect your safety and security; to protect the safety, security and property of our users; and to protect the safety, security, and property of Veritas and our employees, agents, representatives, and contractors.
- Transactions Relating to Certain Analytics Information. We may also sell or otherwise disclose certain information relating to internet or other similar electronic network information to third parties in connection with advertising its Services and those of certain third-party vendors.
6. Data Retention
Generally, we maintain all information you submit to us until you affirmatively change or delete such information or otherwise terminate your registration with our Services. This allows us to help ensure full functionality of the Services. We do, however, subject certain categories of Personal Information to more frequent deletion or overwriting. To dispose of Personal Information, we may anonymize it, delete it, or take other appropriate steps. Your data, potentially including Personal Information, may persist in copies made for backup and business continuity purposes for additional time.
7. Security Measures
We maintain physical, technical, and administrative procedures to protect the data we collect and to secure it from improper of unauthorized use. We work hard to protect data in our custody and control from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, use, disclosure, modification, or destruction, and to use industry-standard security measures in order to ensure an appropriate level of security in light of reasonably available methods in relation to the risks and nature of the information we collect.
However, please remember:
- You provide information to us, including your Personal Information, at your own risk.
- No data transmission over the Internet is guaranteed to be 100% secure, and we cannot guarantee that unauthorized access, hacking, data losses, or other breaches will never occur.
- You are responsible for protecting your account information related to the Services, including any applicable credentials, log-ins, passwords, etc. and for ensuring that they are not used by others to access the Services.
8. International Data Transfers
9. European Union Resident Data
Even though we do not intentionally collect information about residents of the European Union (“EU”), some EU residents’ data may be inadvertently collected through marketing channels or by virtue of our customers’ legitimate use of our Services. Collection and storage of any EU resident’s data by us is minimal and incidental.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, if you are an EU resident and would like to request that your data be securely removed from our systems, however collected, please send an email with proof of EU residency to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will endeavor to remove all relevant data, so long as that removal is technically feasible, does not impact the legitimate accounting or business practices of our customers, and does not violate other regulatory or legal standards with which we must comply. We will also cooperate with our customers in good faith to address any requests they receive or that may impact them directly.
10. Nevada Residents
13. Contact Us
You may contact us at:
Veritas, attn.: Risk Management
2443 Fillmore Street, #380-2009
San Francisco, CA 94115